Editor, academician, politician, social activist and a brilliant student throughout his career; he is an alumnus of some of the most illustrious centres of learning in India and abroad: Ravenshaw College, Benaras Hindu University, Oxford and London School of Economics. A gold medalist in MA in Pol.Sc.fromBHU, he was an outstanding teacher in the university for 12 years.
Soumya Ranjan’s pioneering zeal triggered the birth of ‘SAMBAD’ in 1984. His foray into media did not remain confined to only Sambad. He has given fruition to his dream by launching Odisha’s first private FM Channel- Radio Choklate 104 FM which has become a raging success in Cuttack, Bhubaneswar and Rourkela. His most recent venture, Kanak TV has already gone on - air. Ama Odisha, another brain-child of his has earned for itself a permanent niche in the socio-culture fabric of the state
Dr. Gourahari Das is a senior journalist of Orissa with long 25 years of experience. He is a creative writer, regular columnist and an academician all in one. He has own Sahitya Akademi Award for his creative writings which has been anthologied into as many as 40 books. His dynamism, quest for excellence and hard work has helped SSoMaC to scale new heights.
The Institute's mission is to educate students in a broad range of skills and concepts involving the gathering, editing and presentation of information, and prepare them for a career in journalism. While there is a strong emphasis on the "craft" of journalism, the curriculum is designed to help students draw on and supplement their basic education so they are better equipped to handle intelligently the fundamental issues of the day. They will be exposed to the principles and ethics intrinsic to the profession, to enable them to hone their journalistic skills. The hope is that SSoMaC journalists will not only be competent practitioners by today's standards, but also that they will help raise those standards. Established in 2006, SSoMaC is a unit of Sambad-Ama Odisha Charitable Trust. The Trust, registered on 26.6.2006 under Indian Trust Act is devoted to promotion of culture, media and education among others. SSoMaC has been given government approval vide letter no.3129/TC of 29.7.2006 of Department of Culture, Government of Orissa.
The Board of Studies of Utkal University of Culture has recommended and the Academic Council has already approved the syllabus for the MJMC Degree course.
SSoMaC has deposited the affiliation fees and the formal affiliation is expected sometime in June 2007
- The promoters are in the media business
- Eastern Media Limited (EML), a Public Limited Company, publishes the largest circulated Odia daily 'Sambad' (largest as certified by the Audit Bureau ofCirculation).
- EML has an FM division - Radio Choklate 104
- EML has a TV division - Kanak TV.
- EML Entertainment division produces good quality movies and music.
- EML has an internet edition (www.orissasambad.com) which at over 70,000 visits per month (of unique IP) is the most-seen portal among all Odia newspapers. Rich experience in cinema production and cable TV operation. And the vision of a man with over two decades of unstinted contribution to media industry in Odisha - Sri Soumya Ranjan Patnaik.
- Eminent media professionals as guest/visiting faculty.
- Students get an opportunity to get their stories published even before they pass out.